Sunday, August 21, 2005

Found and Lost Chapter one

Authors Note/Disclaimer: I’m combining several ideas from the comics, the movies, the books, the original animated series, and X-Men: Evolution, as well as my own twisted ideas. Bare with me. (Mostly X-Men: Evolution, as the comic books confuse the hell out of me...but I’m learning!) This will eventually start switching POV’s for short periods of time. Watch for it. The rest of this story can be found on fanfiction.net under the title: Found and Lost
Sundry
Prologue
Joanna’s POV
Close your eyes.
What do you see?
I see doors. Thousands and thousands of doors, constantly opening and closing, shifting around in my head like a combination lock. -Just like everything else in my life; constantly changing and shifting. I never seem to be able to find a place, and a time to just be...me. I never thought I could find anyone who would understand, I thought I was alone in the world, and then I was rescued.
See, I made the mistake of telling my mom and stepfather about my powers. My stepfather, Daniel, talked my Mom into abandoning me. They drugged me, and pushed me from their moving car at sixty-five miles-an-hour into a late-November snow drift. That’s where they left me to die: in the snow, by the side of the road. To die, or be killed. I guess they didn’t realize the possibility of me being saved.
And so, that’s what happened. I kept blacking out because of my injuries, but I remember Storm’s white hair, and Cyclops’s ruby-quartz visor. I vague remember Jean Grey, carefully using her levitation power to lift me from the snow bank. I felt safer once I was inside of their plane, and I didn’t wake up again until a voice inside of my head told me it was time to.
Professor Xavier told me I was at his school for the gift -for mutants, like me. He asked me what my powers were, and I told him. All of them.
When I was through, he whistled, and leaned back in his chair, "That’s quite a sundry. I think I rather like that, don’t you?"
"Like what?" I asked.
"Sundry."
And so my ‘real’ name, my mutant name became Sundry, while my human name, Joanna Darius, was displaced for personal use.
Chapter One
When I was well enough, and my regenerative power had healed my wounds and bruises. I was given a room assignment with Rogue, who at first seemed very stand-off, and stuck up. Then I realized it was because of her power. Rogue can’t have physical contact with people. Her power is to drain people of their life-source, or in the case of mutants, she can "borrow" their powers for a short time. It’s funny because I have the same power, except with the detail that I absorb powers, and keep them. My acquired "sundry" keeps me in check when I get into contact with people. My power gives me unlimited other powers, and I’ve acquired quite a few.
One of the first things we found out is that Rogue can only borrow my ‘active’ power. For example, if I’m using a telepathic power, she can borrow it, if I don’t have an active power, she can touch me and neither of us suffers any damage, as if we were both normal people.
The first power I lusted after was Nightcrawler’s teleporting powers (or as he liked to call it, ‘bamfing"). I didn’t have to touch him long to get it, either, and it was a total accidental-on-purpose that I got it in the first place. We had been in the Danger Room, my first week at the school, and Nightcrawler (Kurt) sort of...bamfed, right on top of me. My hand barely touched his skin for ten seconds, and I had absorbed the power. He blinked at me, his head and tail-tip spinning.
"Kurt!" I asked, after he had fallen back, and I could feel the power filtering through my body. "Are you OK?"
"Oh yah! I’m fine!" He grinned at me. "How are you?"
"I’m OK." I helped him up. "Try and watch where you’re going next time."
Rogue came over to us then, her arms crossed. "Sundry...did you just absorb his power?" She seemed disappointed.
"It was an accident. I can’t help it." I shrugged.
Logan, Wolverine, tried to get us back into formation. It wasn’t until later that I got to actually try the new power. Rogue watched over my test quietly, ready to go for help in case I got stuck in a wall or something. It worked well though, and I was pleased.
After I absorbed Kurt’s power though, I started wearing gloves, just in case. I had to be careful that I didn’t absorb the wrong power.
My day’s were usually basic, normal, teen stuff. With the exception of the Danger Room training sessions. They were to come to good use, soon before I, or anyone, expected. My skills weren’t exactly up-to-par, but with my assorted powers, I could kick-ass with the best of them. Or so I found out.
Rogue, Bobby (Iceman), Kitty, and I, along with Storm (as our chaperone) were at the mall for a shoe sale (well, Bobby was along for the ride). We hadn’t been there long when I noticed Logan standing by one of the vender’s counters. I’ll be the first to admit that I have a huge crush on Logan. I mean, what’s not to like? He’s cute, charming, dangerous, and did I mention drop-dead-sexy?
As I was saying, I saw Logan. So of course, I wanted to strike up a conversation. Only...come to find out, that it wasn’t Logan. I realized this when I touched his hand as I was flirting with him, without gloves. I jolt shook up my arms, rattling me for a moment. Logan looked worried.
"Are you alright?" He asked.
"Oh, yea. I’m fine." I shook my head, flexing my fingers, and glancing over at the clock. "Oh, wow! Look at the time! I better go regroup. Why don’t you come with me?"
Logan declined, as I knew he would. I then suggested that we meet for lunch, and he agreed.
When I met up with Storm, I told her what had happened. She seemed worried, and placed a call to Professor Xavier. There was backup sent to the mall: Cyclops, Jean Grey, and the real Logan. I was hoping that they were smart enough to come in on the other entrance on the other side of the mall. Jean Grey pulled me aside when the three of them arrived. She informed me of their plan. I was to approach the fake-Logan, pretending as though I still had no idea that it wasn’t the real Logan. If I got into any trouble, they would be there to back me up.
"So in other words, I go in and flirt with this...person, and pray that I don’t get kidnaped?" I asked.
"...Sort of." She told me. "Just, act like you normally would."
Right...easier said then done.
I met ‘Logan’ at a table near the back of the food court. I made light conversation, asking him what brought him to the mall, and he asked about school. After about ten minutes, he asked me if I wanted a ride back to the school -that was the ploy he was using. He was after me.
"No, I better ride back with Storm." I motioned behind me. "It might look bad if I-."
"What? Don’t you trust me?" He grabbed my upper arm, and yanked me closer. "Are you afraid of me, Sundry?"
My eyes got large, and widened. He knew that I knew, but Cyclops and Jean were already moving closer. Wolverine was coming up from behind. He grabbed the guy first by the back of the jacket. Cyclops had his finger on the side of his goggles and an itchy trigger finger.
"Mystique." Wolverine’s hands gripped around her throat, and I tore away from her. The form of the offensive perpetrator peeled away to reveal a blue-skinned woman with short, red hair. She grinned maliciously at Wolverine, and blew him a kiss. Then she flipped out of his hands, and morphed quickly into another form as she blended in with the mall crowd.
"You alright, kid?" Logan put a hand on my shoulder.
"I’m fine." I crossed my arms, watching as Mystique disappeared.
"We’d better get you back to the manor."
"I’m not sure what it is that Magneto wants with you, Sundry." Professor Xavier was pondering. "I think it’s safe to say, however, that you should stick around the school more, and limit your outside-activities, alright?"
"Alright." I nodded. I wasn’t about to disagree. I didn’t want to see more of this Mystique woman anyway. She seemed to be very well acquainted with all of the X-Men though.
"Be careful, Joanna. It would be a shame to loose such a gifted young woman, such as yourself." Professor Xavier patted my hand before letting me go.
I ran into Logan in the hallway. He stopped me with a hand on the shoulder. "How you doing, kid?"
"I’m fine." I shrugged. I wasn’t sure if I liked all of the attention I was getting. I wanted to figure out this Magneto guy’s plan, and why he wanted me. He obviously knew that I could absorb powers, but what if that wasn’t the power he wanted? If that was the case, he could have easily gotten any of the others that I had gotten powers from. So why me? "Just confused."
"Anything I can help you out with?" He asked. He actually sounded sincere.
"No, I’ll be fine, but thanks." I smiled, and ducked into the room I shared with Rogue. She was sitting cross legged on her bed, homework spread out across in front of her.
"Hi." She smiled. "Can you help me out with this?" She looked with loathing at one of her text books.
I helped her out, my brain still on Logan. This was more then a school-girl crush, and I felt awful about that. No one had any idea how old he was, or where he came from, and yet, I felt so attracted to him. Everything about him. A man who could well be older then my Grandfather, and all I could think about since that incident at the mall, was him. Not necessarily sleeping with him, but I’ll admit that ran though my mind a lot as well.
I wasn’t ever actually alone with Logan until a few days later. Storm and Cyclops had gone on a mission while Professor Xavier and Jean were at a conference in Washington. Logan had been left to watch over the students. I was sitting in the rec room on the couch, flipping through the channels. He leaned in the doorway when I had settled on the Sunday Night Sex Talk on Oxygen.
"Interesting choice." His voice growled behind me. A blink from me, flipped to cartoons.
"I thought everyone else was asleep." I hugged a throw pillow, tucking my feet under me, while he made himself comfortable on the other side of the couch. He picked up the remote and flipped it back.
"No, really. It’s an interesting choice for a seventeen year old girl on a late Sunday night." He raised an eyebrow at me. "You watch this often?"
"Often enough that I’ve seen this episode." I blinked my eyes again and flipped through the channels again. "Something in particular you’d care to watch?"
"They can’t show what I like on television -for free anyway."
I stopped and looked at him. A smirk crossed his lips, and turned away again.
"Is there somethin’ wrong, kid?" He asked, touching my foot. His hands were warm, and kind of rough against my skin.
"No, I’m fine." I said, moving my foot away, onto the floor. "I should go to bed. Goodnight, Logan."
I was already half way out of the room when he called me back. He got up from his seat, and took my wrists in his hands. Then he tugged me closer to him, kissing me. We both savored the moment for an extra second or so.
"I shouldn’t have done that." His voice was low and raspy. "I’m supposed to be watching over you, not molesting you."
"I wasn’t complaining."He released my wrists, and took a step back from me. "I better go to bed."
"Good night, Joanna.."
"G’ night."
I saw Rogue the next morning in the kitchen, and she tapped one of her boots against the back of my leg. "What were you thinking, last night, Joanna?"
"What are you talking about?" I asked.
"You and Mr. Logan. It’s all over school."
"What?" I asked, pulling her into a corner. "What about Logan and me?"
"That you kissed him in the corridor last night when everyone was either away or asleep. What was it like?" She asked, a grin spreading across her lips.
"This isn’t funny, Rogue. Who told?"
"What’s the matter, Jo?" She asked. "It’s not a big deal, and I swear that Professor X won’t hear about it from me." She crossed her fingers over her chest. "I promise you."
"Who told you?"
"Some of the boys were talking about it in the hallway, and I overheard."
"What boys?" I asked, just as Logan walked into the kitchen for a hot cup of coffee with the paper under his arm. He didn’t take notice of the two of us, instead opting to pour his coffee and take a seat by the window.
"I don’t remember who all was there." Rogue shrugged. "Let it go, Jo. It’s not a big deal, okay? You’re a very, very lucky girl."
"What if he finds out that everyone knows? He’s going to think that I told all of you!"
Rogue looked down at me. "I really don’t think so, Joanna. Relax."
I grabbed a muffin, and a juice box. "I gotta go finish getting ready. I’ll see you in class."
I ate my muffin on my way up the stairs to get my backpack. Some of the people I passed whistled at me, and patted my back. I was gritting my teeth until I reached my room. I leaned against the door once it was shut and sighed. Going to school was going to be hell. Everyone was sure to know about Logan and me kissing the night before. Part of me wanted the floor to open up and swallow me, the other part of me of was talking a calming voice, it was going to be OK. All I had to do was just survive through the day, and just hope that it wasn’t as bad as it seemed. I mean, I’m seventeen years old, I’m almost an adult. I’m a mature young woman, and I can take care of myself. If I wanted to kiss a much, much older man, well...so be it! ...Unless I can’t, in which case I am royally fucked.

No comments: